/Getting Help

Getting Help

Woodstock is part of Ward 57, which includes large chunks of Mowbray, Observatory, Salt River, Table Mountain, Woodstock and Zonnebloem. This is a huge area – sometimes you’ll need to talk to City of Cape Town call centre, sometimes you need local help.

First – Woodstock Police Station: 021 442 3122.

Many Capetowners don’t know that the easiest way to reach Council is through the call centre on 0860 103 089 or Contact.Us@capetown.gov.za – this applies to everything from blocked stormwater drains to power failures. Try this first. If you’re not getting joy, get hold of UWRA (click on “contacts” and we’ll see if we can get you in touch with the right people).

You can also contact the Ward Councillor.

Our Councillor:  Brett Heron
E-mail: brett.herron@capetown.gov.za

Manager of Sub-council 15 (Wards 57, 53 and 30): Mariette Griesel
Tel (021) 531 3437
Fax (021) 531 3319

What is a ward?
A ward is made up of 5 – 8 voting districts, each with its own polling station.  A ward does not have any legislative capacity, but a ward councillor can propose bylaws and legislation to the Council.

What is a ward councillor?
A ward councillor is the candidate who wins the most votes in his or her ward.

What is a sub-council?
A sub-council is a group of wards that adjoin or touch each other.

What is the purpose of a sub-council?
The most important job of  a sub-council is to bring local government closer to its people.  It can do this by:

  • organising public participation processes for the City’s policies and legislation, such as bylaws and the Integrated Development Plan;
  • administering licences for health facilities and liquor outlets;
  • compiling and monitoring capital and operational spending of ward allocations in its area;
  • dealing with references from the relevant portfolio committees about policies, bylaws and regulations;  and
  • making recommendations to the Council on matters affecting that area.

How can I communicate with my sub-council?
First talk to your direct representative – your ward councillor – and convey your concerns, suggestions or requests.  He or she will place your item on the sub-council agenda.  Nevertheless, you do have the right to address your sub-council yourself.  Watch your local press or other channels of communication for details of monthly meetings.